BRITISH NIGERIA LAW FORUM
NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN FOR POSITIONS ON THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN FOR POSITIONS ON SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS
Nominations are now open for the following officer positions – Vice Chair, General Secretary, Membership Secretary, Treasurer and Social Secretary. The term of office will be from 2020 – 2021.
To be eligible to stand for election you must be:
· A BNLF member paid up for at least 3 continuous years (2018/2019/2020).
· A Barrister or Solicitor with at least 3 years post-qualification experience.
· Your application must be supported by two current BNLF members.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a nomination form and full information on the responsibilities of each post. Completed nomination forms must be returned by 23 August 2020.
3 Aug 2020 – Nominations for officer positions on to the BNLF Executive Committee open.
Contact email@example.com to receive a nomination form.
23 Aug 2020 – Nominations close. Completed nomination forms with accompanying information must be received no later than midnight and returned to firstname.lastname@example.org
24 Aug 2020 – Candidates unopposed and any candidates standing for election will be announced.
24 Aug – 9 Sept 2020
If there is an election, campaigning starts.
9 September 2020 – Online Voting
· Only current paid up BNLF members can vote on 9 September 2020.
· All Paid up members will receive an email with a link to access to the electronic voting form (please make sure that we have your current email address).
· The voting link goes live at 7am and will close at 7pm.
10 September 2020 – Election results
· An election team (independent persons who are not BNLF Members) will monitor the voting and oversee the election count and results.
· The result of the election will be announced at the AGM meeting on Thursday 10 September 2020.
Positions on Special Interest Groups
There will be a number of other positions available for paid up members who may not meet the criteria to be on the Executive Committee but have skills that benefit the work of BNLF in the UK or Nigeria. You may wish to be considered for the following positions:
· Head of a Special Interest Group
· Panel member of a Special Interest Group
The BNLF special interest groups are set out below:
(i) Junior Lawyers Division
(ii) Women’s Network
(iii) Immigration Law Network
(iv) Criminal Law Network
(v) Family Law Network
(vi) Business Law Network
3 Aug 2020 –14 Sept 2020
If you wish to apply for a position on a special interest group contact email@example.com for an application form. To be eligible you must be:
· A BNLF member paid up for the current year.
· Your application must be supported by a current BNLF member.
Please note that positions on all groups require a high level of commitment and participation in order to execute our annual programme of work. After the AGM, the new Executive Committee will consider members most suited to lead on the Special Interest Groups or be panel members. A completed application form together with accompanying information must be returned no later than midnight on 14 September 2020.
If you are not yet a member of BNLF or have not renewed your membership for 2020, you can pay now in order to be considered for any of the above positions and also to vote in the elections. Please also consider passing on this information to potential new members.
To join BNLF or renew your BNLF membership the annual membership fee is £30 for full members (Lawyers, qualified Barrister/Solicitor); and £15 for Law students, Legal Trainees, CILEx, paralegals. It is £120 for corporate members (members of the same firm can have a maximum of 5 members of their firm as BNLF members under this package). Each corporate member needs to ensure we have their contact email address. Joining BNLF is simple and the criteria for membership is set out in full on our website